RE: permalancer

Subject: RE: permalancer
From: "Chesler, Lynn" <lchesler -at- auspicecorp -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:02:44 -0500 (EST)

I'm coming in late to this thread but I have 2 tidbits to add:

1. US workers used to have relative job security, but in the 80's?
companies began laying off loyal workers with the prevailing winds.
Therefore, many younger workers cut their teeth in an era when job hopping
became the norm through no fault of their own. You have to constantly
reinvent yourself when you're laid off every few years. Eventually,
self-preservation trumps company loyalty.

2. Younger workers who are not supporting families can change jobs and
careers more freely because steady pay is less important to them. When we
get older, well, I can only speak for myself, but... As the sole support
for my family, the lack of job security in the current climate scares me
to death.

Lynn
(A boomer who is willing to put up with some boredom on the job in
exchange for a decent and steady income to help me raise my family.)