RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 28, Issue 22

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 28, Issue 22
From: "Borowik, Kristy" <Kristy_Borowik -at- lcca -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:34:28 -0500

I've been a technical writer for only one company, and more often than
not, I learn the system and write my instructions from scratch, from how
I see that the software works. I'm not always right in how a user should
do something or how managers would want our users (Note: All of our
software is for internal use) to use a particular feature. So I always
have a SME check my draft when I'm done. If necessary, I'll have another
writer double-check my work by following along in the system and make
sure that my words are understandable and accurate. It's not unheard of
that a process would work one way when I write it and then another later
after they change the software, so double-checking just before release
is a must.

There are rare instances when I am not allowed access to certain
software, such as our payroll system, and so I do have to rely on the
programmers and the SME for accurate instructions. Usually I find steps
that are completely unintelligible and I'll have to meet with the SME to
have her show me the process on her computer. Only then could I ever
understand what she meant to say. I just don't understand how people can
write and feel confident in their documents if they can't check the
accuracy themselves. Programmers don't always use the right words, and
they rarely use the exact terms (field names, etc.) as shown on screen.
And who gets all the screen shots for the document if not the writer? In
my company, programmers get paid more than writers, so it only makes
sense that the programmer not be bothered with getting screen shots so
they can spend their time programming.

Must be nice to do a quarter of the work and still get paid so much...

Kristy Borowik
Training & Technical Publications Developer