Re: Seminar ideas for advanced practitioners

Subject: Re: Seminar ideas for advanced practitioners
From: Ami WRIGHT <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>
To: john -at- garisons -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:28:37 -0500

Making the business case for quality documentation.

Here's an excerpt from the Eric Ray's first post to techwr-l in March 1993:

"Right now the biggest problem I have is in convincing the powers-that-be
that technical documentation will significantly reduce the user support
load here. I am in the User Services group, and our help desk is swamped
(our help desk calls have more than doubled in the past year, and the
staffing has remained the same.)

My feeling is that better and more documentation for the systems would
reduce that load by answering the questions collectively (on paper) rather
than individually (at the help desk). My boss agrees in principle, but
principle doesn't get me much support or help."

I think that many of us still have the same problem.

-Ami

Ami Wright
"Technical" tech writer
American with international experience