RE: Value of giving up numbering in Word?

Subject: RE: Value of giving up numbering in Word?
From: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:42:44 -0400

Thanks to all who gave it for the advice on Word. My frustration about
this issue just boiled after trying so many things that didn't work.

I'll try a few more solutions from these suggestions. It's not worth it to
let lame software ruin the fun of living.

> From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
> AutoNumLgl fields are easy, stable, and reliable... in Word. What's all
> this about NetHelp? Please elucidate.

NetHelp is one kind of web output of Doc-To-Help. D2H, as I understand it,
churns Word docs (and other sources, if you know how to write in those)
through a bunch of templates and macros to create its help outputs.

> As for MS Word Help... it doesn't.

Isn't it sad that so many of us, myself included, feel such disappointment
and frustration with Microsoft and others that our attitudes can be summed
up with such a statement? Yes, I do want an "Easy button" like in the
Staples TV ads. The technology exists to make it so, so why isn't it so?
Instead of just so-so? Uhhh...does that sew things up?? ;-]

This is a problem that appears to come out of mismanagement or maybe
profiteering. By the latter I mean selling a problematic product with the
idea that it'll make as much money as possible and screw the user if it
doesn't work just right--because enough of it works that they can still
sell the heck out of it.

Will Word 3008, 100 years from now, continue to confound its users???

--Tim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList