Re: RE : More usage: "Open" or "Access" web addresses

Subject: Re: RE : More usage: "Open" or "Access" web addresses
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:03:59 -0700

Leonard C. Porrello wrote:
> Exactly. And it's the goal of writing so as not to disrupt the suspension
> of disbelief that makes technical writing interesting.

YOW!! Suddenly I find myself walking on eggshells. In hobnail boots.
This VR nneds some getting adjustment, but it *is* kind of fun.

>The fragility of the metaphor and the shallowness of the suspension of disbelief are intriguing.

My mind, after years of disappointment in the fragile, shallow, and
sometimes stale metaphors, has symbolized the whole lash-up as 'damned
low-bidder crap to work with,'

What kind of things intrigue? The first thing to mind is ideas
(intrigued by an idea). Then I think of the senses (the smell of
intrigue, or indeed, an intriguing visual or linguistic metaphor).
Perhaps my implying the existence of a sense of language is going too
far, but here it is anyway, a genny-wine unexpurgated Ed Wordsmith
endorsement that tech writing is spooky compared to the usual HR
understanding of it as 'arranging shallow, fragile metaphors into
cut-n-dried procedures.'

Anyway, my job description is :-)

Have fun,

Ned Bedinger