Re: More usage: "Open" or "Access" web addresses

Subject: Re: More usage: "Open" or "Access" web addresses
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:25:20 -0700

Cardimon, Craig wrote:
> Again, I'm seeing different variations here. If I want to direct users
> to ftp://ftp.comeandgetit.com <ftp://ftp.comeandgetit.com/> , would I
> tell them to open that URL or access it?

Open a a web browser, and go to a URL. Experienced network users would
naturally know what you mean when you say ftp to
ftp://<forsure>.<theyknow>.<howto/downloads.

If you're giving this a lot of thought because you have hand-holding
responsibility for new users on the network, I imagine you can assume
they're using browsers and they will go to.

But you know what? FTP is a mainstay of network file serving. It has a
rich variety of FTP tools grown up around it. For heaven's sake, take
your pick, on any operating system, of stand-alone download managers,
and FTP GUIs and command line FTP with its own set of FTP commands, to
name a few ways that experienced users might find more convenient than a
browser.

So as usual, and with flame-proof suit on to say this, it might depend
on who your users are. Find out who needs to do it, and that will tell
you a lot about whether to give them the baby talk (go to) or the rich
heritage version (ftp to, or connect to).

I hope someone else can give you advice on the prevailing approach to
FTP these days. If browsing is the predominant approach for everyone
anymore, and your FTP URL is web browser friendly, you could tell
everyone to go to, and so get away without all the heritage hoopla. I
don't know about that, but someone else will.

BTW, where are these variations you're seeing? If it is in documentation
that you consult for examples of the corporate style at your workplace,
then I hope the time is nigh when you can't take no mo' stale metaphors
for using a network. To my tin ear, the time "sounds" ripe for a style
guide crusade to weed out those awkward variations you're seeing.

Good luck.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList