Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?

Subject: Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:52:45 -0700

Keith Hood wrote:

> They want you to write the letter instead of the tech
> who did the correction or the manager who was in
> charge of things? Call me paranoid, but I think
> something stinks. Sounds to me like you're being set
> up to take a fall if something doesn't work out.

Ooof. That is evil, but not out of bounds. I admit to having an equally
bleak interpretation: No reflection on Deborah when I wonder what sort
of monolithic chickenshirt outfit would put off and pass on the
responsibility instead of working out a dignified personal letter in
kind to the complaint. This is an opportunity to become known as a
'people-oriented' company. A people-oriented image can buy a lot of
forgiveness...

But then I also agree with Deborah's statement about the complainer's
requirements for what would be a satisfying response; I think I'd look
into the complaint, if I were inclined to accept the assignment, which I
doubt I would be, and try to calibrate a response to the concerns
expressed there, truing it up if the complaint wasn't balanced.

On yet another hand, maybe the boss thought the tech writer would just
do some of that formatting magic to make the problem go away like hidden
text. My job description does captures such duties in the requirement
for flexibility.

--Ned

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList