RE: STC is broken

Subject: RE: STC is broken
From: "Donald H. White" <dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:15:52 -0400

The comments regarding the blog are both interesting and revealing.

-->Do some point out that the writer's blog seems shallow? Do we expect a
research paper, instead?

Hint: It's a blog. It's commentary. And, it hits a nerve.

-->Some indicate that the "STC" meetings don't pertain exactly to their
niche within the field, so they just don't participate.

Perhaps this refers to chapter meetings; I know of no STC meeting other than
Board meetings and the annual conference/summit. If the reference is to
chapter meetings, I assume that those who do not participate have
consistently suggested topics that closely relate to their niche. Perhaps
they have volunteered to work with chapter program committees to create and
execute more diverse program.

Were they rebuffed in their efforts to contribute? Or, were some too busy
and, instead, hoped that chapter officers and committee members would know
what they want and need?

-->Similarly, networking meetings are worthwhile, but program meetings
should be attended by novices, according to some.

It's certainly nice to schmooze, isn't it?

----------

STC is us. If those of us who bother to join or retain membership in our
regional chapter don't participate, then, for us, that chapter is broken. If
the chapter is the face of the Society, then it's not a leap to point out
that STC is broken. Why? Because those of us who could do something haven't.

I've my share of frustrations with the Society at the mega-level. I would
like the Society to invest in a solid, affordable continuing education
program as well as certification programs based on a canon. I'd like to see
the Society take the lead in developing and promulgating standards for the
fields within technical communication. I'd like to see the costs associated
with the annual summit/conference lowered measurably so that more might
participate.

More than anything, though, I'd like to see more at the chapter level shake
off either the lethargy or apathy that has seemingly infected them and
participate. This wouldn't take a full- or half-time commitment, either. It
would, though, require a commitment to one's profession, even if that
commitment is limited to participation in one program meeting every month or
every other month and, perhaps, answering or initiating an e-mail about
chapter program.

Cheers,

Don White
James River Chapter STC