Re: STC is broken

Subject: Re: STC is broken
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Sean Brierley <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:23:58 -0700

Sean Brierley wrote:
> Oh. It's a blog. I had thought there were professional blogs and
> personal blogs, and that one reflected a serious communication about an
> industry, profession, etc., and the other was about naked beerfests in
> the Caribbean (Majorca for those Eurocentrists amongst us)?

I'd enjoy pitching in with you on these fine points, but as luck would
have it, I'm bone tired of the whole topic and the spirited attempts to
make it the common cause of this list.

> In particular, I thought this blog was a professional blog, not a
> personal one. So, should opinion on a professional blog be unsupported
> and vague? Or, should we question the reasons for statements and ask for
> evidence and supporting argument?

We could put it in the pillory and jeer, if that wouldn't be too
anti-collegial.

Wow, I think I've gone soft since the last round of STC/No STC. Can I
find the edge anymore? Or will I have to accept my fate, and just go
soft in this weariness? I *do* have a bit of overripe produce handy, let
me see if I can summon the strength...

My thought after reading the blog was a lot like your 'shallow'
judgement--the article seems to declare that concern for STC has all the
weight of the new summer fashions at Macy's, a fitting topic to practice
manakin-like posturing on.

Not fair, easy target, bad judgement, but all right! Bullseye!!

> Perhaps another reason the STC should keep with grassroots organizations
> and not rely on Web-based communities and communication is because
> Web-based communities and communication are not taken seriously by some,
> and will always be extensions of a fraternity theme?

I think virtual is a mixed blessing--it further dissipates the
organization in a way not seen since the dotcom media explosion. But
then, the web is always on, reaches a broader audience. But it is thin
gruel for people who look forward with lusty appetites to putting faces
with names. That's a fine tradition, IMHO, but I want to reserve my
right of equivocation until I can grasp how web communities extend the
fraternity model? Is it something to do with online schools and cheating?

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList