Re: Can I Get Your Input Please

Subject: Re: Can I Get Your Input Please
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:43:45 -0600

Seems to me that the person was miffed -- this is my first reaction. I do
not really know, of course, because all I know is what you describe.

Going on the theory that the person was miffed and decided to react in the
way you describe: You say ' Since my supervisor was made aware of my
internal app, I have ...'. And so I ask, what was the timing of this notice
to this guy? And did you yourself inform him or did he learn by accident or
through processes of the company?

The reason why I ask is that if he learned because you told him directly,
and he said something like 'Great - go for it' and now his attitude is
changing, I believe that you can take one tack (for example, reminding him,
politely, of that conversation).

On the other hand, if there was no such notice or conversation that came
directly from you, then I would imagine that you are in an unenviable
position of having to do some damage control. But not like expending all of
your time and energy on the problem. At one of the little sessions with him
simply apologize (quietly, no fanfare) for not telling him ahead of time
that you failed to notice him that you were tendering that application for
that position. But after you do this, do not let the conversation turn into
something like 'Well, what after all is the reason for all of this brand-new
criticism of my work?' DO NOT LET IT GO THERE.

After this conversation, wait and see what happens in the coming days and
weeks.

It seems to me that the real problem is not the quality of your work but
that he is miffed somehow and has decided to act on his hurt feelings.

Of course I could be wrong.

Jim Jones