RE: Can I Get Your Input Please

Subject: RE: Can I Get Your Input Please
From: Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 14:38:22 -0400

With the most recent developments, I would recommend taking the high road.

Go to your manager's office. Shut the door. Say "I was interested in this new job, and I should have talked to you first, and I'm sorry I didn't." If you try a little of the "I feel that you feel that I feel..." chat with this person, it may resolve things, and you may come to a compromise.

Fact is, your boss is being a jerk. If he can't speak about it like a rational person, then there's no point in working with him anymore.

I had a manager block me from moving to another group, just as you describe. I told him that I wanted to move out of his group and into another organization, and he said he supported the move (to my face). But then, when the offer came, he blocked it just because he could. He lost my respect, the respect of most of his team, and the new manager fought like hell to hire me (lucky for me!). It took ages, but eventually, I moved out of his team. Hopefully, the hiring manager in your case is as tenacious as mine was.

> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 11:13:08 -0700> From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> To: thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com> CC: imborn4fun -at- yahoo -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> Subject: Re: Can I Get Your Input Please> > Kevin McGowan wrote:> > Wow...that manager certainy does sound like a tool. did you have any previous indication that he/she was this type of person? Fact is, if there was any problems with your work, they would have mentioned it earlier in your 14-month tenure, or they would have shown you the door ages ago.> > > > I've seen this kind of behavior myself in previous jobs, in the same scenario. Your manager is immature and taking this somehow very personally, IMO. > > > > Me too. I think it made mine worry that it would reflect badly on the > ol' management skills. like out of control, so they try to recover by > using whatever power they think they're supposed to have, like > performance evaluations. It is a personality defect, a serious deviation > from the proper relationship. It only gets worse, in my limited > experience. Conventional wisdom is to just move on and not try to > resolve it. Damage control is that important to a contracxtor.
Enter today for your chance to win $1000 a day—today until May 12th. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/215

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList