Re: Can I Get Your Input Please

Subject: Re: Can I Get Your Input Please
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Kevin McGowan" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:07:27 -0400

> Go to your manager's office. Shut the door. Say "I was interested in this new job, and I should have talked to you first, and I'm sorry I didn't." If you try a little of the "I feel that you feel that I feel..." chat with this person, it may resolve things, and you may come to a compromise.

Depending on your prior relationship with the manager, I'd say this is
an excellent approach as well. Admit your mistake in not talking it
out first. But if the relationship has been one of "you're hired, work
with this team, only see me if there are issues", I'd say this will be
a lost cause.

And always remember that despite all the corporate training (or lack
thereof) in the world, managers can slip and bring in baggage from
home to their workplace. Not that I want to know or think you should
even remotely go there, but if the manager's having relationship
problems, this indirect way of finding out you're leaving for another
department could have triggered some barely-buried anger and
frustration.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter