Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 07:58:58 -0700

I don't think I've ever worked for a company I would call
particularly "enlightened." Most of them held the view
that engineers, programmers, writers, etc., were hired
to do a job, part of that job included working as a team
with other people the company had hired, and for anyone
who had a problem with that for some reason, there was
the door. Writers were ranked and paid at the same
levels as engineers, because they usually were, used
to be and/or could potentially leave their writing positions
and go back to being engineers if they weren't ranked
and paid that way, and they were "respected" and
supported by the engineers because (a) the engineers
understood that they were being paid to "respect" and
support them, and (b) the engineers understood that if
they didn't "respect" and support good writers the
company wouldn't be able to hire and keep any and
then they would have to go back to writing their own
documents.

If carrying a "developer" title really brings you more
"respect" and money, maybe the real problem is that
your company calls its programmers "software
developers" and doesn't ensure that they have a clear
understanding that they're part of a development
*team* and not "developers" unless they're performing
all the functions required to turn out a product (including
the documentation).

Gene Kim-Eng