Input

Subject: Input
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 17:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

My comments seem to have started a new holy war to add
to the linux/Windows issue and the serial comma issue
and the ...

I can assure you that yes, I do know something about
beer versus other types of drink. I have spent many,
many years, many, many dollars, and many, many brain
cells in researching the subject thoroughly. Here are
my conclusions:

With the possible exceptions of Abita Turbo Dog and a
few other microbrews, American beer is moose water.

If the container is silver and/or the label includes
any variation of the word "light," it's moose water.

When you are hot and thirsty after a hard game or a
day's work, nothing goes down easier or refreshes you
more than beer (real beer). It has just enough alcohol
to help you unwind a little, but not enough to jolt
you (you don't want another jolt after a day of hot
work). It makes you feel like you're getting
rehydrated even though the exact opposite is true,
because so much of it is water that it fools your
taste buds at first. It's light enough and low enough
in alcohol that you can drink large amounts of it and
drink it in gulps, thing that won't work with harder
liquor, and that action of downing it in big lots has
a psychological effect - it makes you feel more
unwound because that physical action of downing it in
big batches helps you ground the tensions accumulated
during the work day.

(When I talk about drinking beer after work I do so
from the perspective of having once worked on framing
crews and oil field service crews and roofing houses.
After-work beer drinking in those worlds is somewhat
different from the drinking done in the world of
slaving over a hot calculator.)

In the morning, beer is not an optimal choice. What
you want then is something to give you a little bit of
a kick and help you wake up a bit better, and beer
worth drinking is too heavy for that. It also does not
have a good alcohol to body ratio for morning
drinking. Something like a tequila sunrise or a mimosa
or a light sweet wine is good for mornings because you
get a bit of a boost from the alcohol and you also get
sugars, which you don't get from beer. It stimulates
your sense of taste and causes your brain to start
cranking a little more rapidly. Beer has too much of a
soporific effect for morning.

Your mileage may vary.

--- Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com> wrote:

> Bill Swallow wrote in response to Keith Hood's
> comments, which were in
> response to my comments:
>
> > But please...beer is for fishing or after football
> > games. Only healthy drinking in the morning -
> mimosas
> > and tequila sunrises, something with some vitamin
> C.
>
> Bah. Spoken like someone who doesn't know beer. ;-)
>
> Except...when it's really, really hot outside and
> you have a Modelo (dark),
> some ice, a fresh lime, and a margarita glass. You
> get your vitamin B(eer)
> and your vitamin C in each refreshing sip. Oh yeah,
> the ice can be used to
> chill the glass and discarded, or it can become part
> of the drink (not
> recommended...nobody dilutes good beer).
>
> This wonderful drink helped us through many 100+
> degree days when we lived
> in Albuquerque.
>
> Al Geist
> Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video,
> Photography
> Office/Msg: 802-872-9091
> Cell: 802-578-3964
> Website: www.geistassociates.com
> See Also:
> Fine Art Photography
> Website: www.geistimages.com
>
> "...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking.
> Better to be a pilgrim
> without a destination, I figured, than to cross the
> wrong threshold each
> day." (Anon.)

Be a better friend, newshound, and

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList