Re: RE: old school

Subject: Re: RE: old school
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Hemstreet Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:17:42 -0500

No, you date yourself when you mention Nash Rambler, and all you get are blank stares.

That dates you.

Why I remember when I walked to school, uphill both ways, dodging the dinosaur herds, while a blizzard raged. And the
sand was blowing in my eyes.

Scott

On Mon 08/05/19 08:18 , "Hemstreet, Deborah" sent:
> And remember those old big bulky tapes that were supposed to catch on
> instead of cassette tapes???
>
> I remember having some songs I loved on those, and all too quickly,
> totally useless.....
>
> Of course then there was the phonograph?
>
> My husband and I reminisced about some records the other day, and our
> daughters asked what they were... :(
>
> I think I just dated myself!!!!
>
> Deborah

bounces+dhemstreet=kaydon -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] OnBehalf Of Suzette Leeming
> Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 9:05 AM
> To: Fred Ridder
> Cc: t
> echwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- comSubject: Re: old school
>
> Thanks to all who remembered the name - they were mimeograph and ditto
> machines - they were two different (but somewhat similar) technologies
> and
> when you mentioned the smell of ditto copies, I could almost smell it
> again!
>

> Ah, the technology that has come and gone in such a relatively short
> time!
>
> Suzette Leeming
>

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Fred Ridder docudoc -at- h
> otmail.com>wrote:
>

> > > Mimeograph? That has a drum and makes "dittos" of
> things, at leastthat's
> > > what I heard the copies called. But I don't know
> about the holepunching
> > > thing.
> >
> > Mimeograph and ditto were two different
> technologies.>
> > With ditto every character you typed when making the
> master deposted> some pigment from one sheet of the 2-part stencil form
> onto anothersheet.
> > Then you put the stencil on a drum that contained a
> volatile (andprobably
> > toxic) solvent that dissolved part of the deposited
> pigment andallowed it
> > to be deposited on a specially coated copy stock. The
> drawbacks ofditto
> > systems (aka "spirit duplicators") were that you could
> only make about> 30-40 clear copies before the pigment deposited on the
> stencil wouldbe
> > depleted and the copies would become illegible, and the
> duplicatedcopies
> > were purple. The advantage was that the copies smelled
> great if the> teacher had just run them off a few minutes before
> class.>
> > I don't know exactly what the mimeograph technology
> was, but it was> good for more like a few hundred legible copies from
> each master, and> the images were reproduced in black and did not have
> that wonderful> solvent smell. Not nearly so interesting to elementary
> schoolstudents...

Initiative

---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList