Re: Fun with Word

Subject: Re: Fun with Word
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:36:56 +0530

Word is not a perfect word processing software.

However, I have NEVER had a problem with a document that ran into 24, 30, or
35 pages. Specially not with bullets and numbers. Even when I didn't define
styles.

Using Word without shortening your life is about learning how to work with
its object model and designing your artefacts and work to harness it's
power. It is a powerful word processor and writing tool, with appreciable
bookmaking functionality despite not being explicitly designed for
publishing work.

Nowhere does my post say that Word is perfect, or that people don't have
problems with it.
There are, however some usage problems (master pages, numbered lists) that
reveal a lot
about the software, and others that enlighten us about the user.

So if someone says, "America is home to some of the world's greatest
musicians..." I'd concur emphatically. If they add, "... take Britney Spears
for example..." ...

Likewise, if someone says they had trouble with Word, that wouldn't surprise
me. I'd be interested in the problem and how it was fixed. It is the kind of
problem described, however, that decides whether you're going to be learning
about the software or the user.

Edwin

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList