RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l

Subject: RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 14:33:16 -0400

Combs, Richard [mailto:richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com] wrote:
[...]
> I'm a little more sanguine today. It's not that I trust Google to have
> _my_ best interests at heart, but I'm pretty sure that they have their
> _own_ best interests at heart, and screwing with all the Gmail users
> would just about destroy their brand and the goodwill value attached
> it. As for the privacy concerns, they're no different if your mail is
> sitting on your ISP's server.
>
> Regarding online vs. offline, you can have the best of both with Gmail
> and IMAP. See my post earlier today, "Gmail and offline access."

I was happy with my previous (local) ISP, but abandoned them when they
were gobbled up by Primus. The current one is small and non-profit, and
therefore unlikely to have huge, hidden, insidious corporate agendas,
though they might be even more likely to fold to "informal"
(warrantless) government pressure, but that's neither here nor there...
Literally, and without exception, everything that we say or do online
(or via phone or...) goes through Echelon, so there's no privacy beyond
anonymity of numbers. (The fact that I've used the word "Echelon" puts
this post and everything near it in a higher-interest bracket for a
while... sorry kids. If I used other keywords, additional flags would
go up until, somewhere, an actual human-like thing would take a look.

I'll probably start using Gmail or something like it more and more as my
situation changes and I have need both to access mail from anywhere and
to keep searchable archives at the ready. But then I'd probably go for
the paid service.

Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList