Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l

Subject: Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:06:24 +0530

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- sun -dot- com> wrote:
> Gmail has one missing feature that drives me crazy: the
> inability to sort mail by reverse-date. If I'm away from
> my mail for a while (as I was just recently, having been
> traveling), there's no way to sort messages in reverse
> order so the oldest ones are displayed first. Although
> Gmail does thread, often someone slightly changes a subject
> line or otherwise causes related messages not to appear
> together. Also, I prefer the folder structure used by Yahoo
> over the label structure used by Gmail.

Mmm, true... although that doesn't seem to annoy me much :-)
If you have the Greasemonkey Firefox add-in installed, you could try
this script and see if it helps (I haven't tried it):
http://simon.incutio.com/code/greasemonkey/reverse-gmail.user.js
An alternative is to use a local email client like Mozilla Thunderbird
to connect to Gmail's IMAP interface, like was mentioned in this
thread, but then you lose some of the features of the Web interface in
order to get sort-by-date capabilities...

I did take some time to get used to the labels-not-folders concept...
and there have been rumors that Gmail is going to implement folders,
but it never seems to happen. Again, people have tried to put a better
"face" on it, like this Greasemonkey script:
http://arend-von-reinersdorff.com/folders4gmail/
They're still labels, yes, but you get a collapsible folder-like interface...

Of course, Greasemonkey scripts assume that you will be accessing
Gmail from the same (set of) computer(s), since you need to have the
Greasemonkey add-in and scripts installed and kept up-to-date on all
those computers... a personal laptop is good for this; work desktops
and home desktops not so good; public browsing systems not good at
all. And with each new iteration of the interface, the Greasemonkey
scripts can get broken, rendering you sans the features you need,
which does nothing to improve your mood :-( till the developers fix
the scripts.

Overall, I agree - Gmail isn't everything to everyone, but I still
like it the best of all the free Web-mail accounts.

Regards
Ed.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList