Re: Returning to Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Returning to Tech Writing
From: "Barry Baldwin" <barry -dot- baldwin -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:24:42 -0400

Bill and Deborah,

My linkedin profile, linked below, is pretty close to the resume that I've
been sending out.

I took a pay cut to do my overseas experience, thinking that it would be an
investment in my long-term career. It hasn't really played out that way so
far, though. I'm making only a little more than I did overseas, and
significantly less than before I went overseas.

The job listings I've seen generally get very specific with the tool skills
that they're looking for (XML, DITA, FrameMaker, etc.), some of which I
don't have experience with, even though I do have experience with very
similar tools (XHTML, CSS, PageMaker, InDesign, etc.). Do you think
employers and recruiters get hung up on these, maybe not considering how
similar various markup languages and DTP softwares are?

Someone once told me that the more detailed the job description, the more
likely they already have a candidate in mind. Do you all agree?

I do plan to ask probing questions if I ever get an interview. Namely, what
is your current documentation strategy, and how does that fit into your
overall business model? I think documentation is sorely underestimated as a
selling point, and even as a potential profit center rather than a cost
center, IMHO.

Maybe I should put "user advocate" and "documentation evangelist" in my
resume somehow :^)

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Barry Baldwin

Blog: