Tech Pubs in a Manufacturing Environment

Subject: Tech Pubs in a Manufacturing Environment
From: Ginger Stuckey <g_stuckey -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Normally I can find whatever I need by searching the archives but not this time. After 15 years as a software tech writer, I've moved into manufacturing technical publications. The company I work for, Heil Environmental (heil.com), wants to move into a more streamlined publications process. They want to implement a CMS/DMS as well as some training and customer compliance issues. I was brought in because I have experience in most of these issues. My job is to guide the company through all of this. One of the first
jobs I need to tackle aside from requirements gathering is evaluting
technical illustration software and thinking about how to integrate
that into our environment.

I am also evaluating technical illustration software (IsoDraw, 3DVIA) and researching how to implement all of this in an engineering/manufacturing environment. The publications we create include illustrated parts lists, operator's manuals, and WBTs/CBTs in the future. We act as our own technical illustrators.

All of the background above is to ask if any one on the list have experience working in the tech pubs department of a manufacturing company doing these things? I need to talk to people who have experience migrating a company to a CMS/DMS system, people who have experience in manufacturing technical publications. I also need to talk to people who have experience creating WBTs/CBTs so that a company can provide training to clients based on operator's manuals with testing. We also want to keep a log of test-takers and scores.

Companies I include in this category include John Deere, International, CAT, Kubota. Any company that produces products with moving hydraulic parts. We are smaller that these companies but

If you know someone who has moved a manufacturing company in this direction or have this experience yourself, please contact me via email or on the list. I'm interested in discussing tools, pitfalls, and more. You can contact me at gstuckeyATheilco.com.

Sorry if I sound a little disjointed. The project has grown A LOT since I came here three months ago. I'm getting a bit panicky.

Thanks,
Ginger
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
--Anonymous

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList