RE: workplace stuff

Subject: RE: workplace stuff
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:36:31 -0700

I fully agree. If you don't like your employer's rules, get a new job.
Having said that, I feel I need to add that employers obsess about how
many hours employees spend at their desks and employee web surfing only
when they are too busy, lazy, or incompetent to manage effectively. When
managers task employees with enough appropriate work, support employee
creativity, and set ambitious (but not insane) deadlines, absenteeism
and web surfing usually aren't issues.

In other words, web surfing is only a problem in two cases:
1) When management sucks.
2) When an employee fails to meet reasonable deadlines.

When management has to fire someone because they "violated the corporate
internet usage policy," (rather than, say, for "failing to complete
assigned work competently and/or in timely manner") they are basically
saying, "we are too stupid and/or too lazy to mange our employees."

Leonard

email: phanson at quintrex.com