RE: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?

Subject: RE: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "'Tracey Bean'" <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:46:43 -0400

Tracey,

If you have no other foreseeable use for Flare and CSS, you might consider
building some, but perhaps not all, of the learning time for Flare into your
research activities. Otherwise I would call it professional development, and
as an independent that's your dime. I have never billed for travel time, and
some of my clients actually forbid it. However you do get to bill for time
spent onsite, and you can deduct all the travel expenses on your taxes. It
sounds as though they're a pretty reasonable client though, and I would
discuss it with them before proceeding much further.

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design

http://www.therightwords.com
connie -at- therightwords -dot- com

(704) 540-9985 (office)
(704) 957-8450 (mobile)

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney