Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?

Subject: Re: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Tracey Bean" <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:22:24 -0700

Anything that you and the client agree is billable, is.

>From the POV of a client:

I would be agreeable to a contractor billing a
reasonable amount of learning curve time for an
application that I had previously paid that contractor
to research for me knowing that he/she had no
expertise in it. If the contractor had previously
presented him/herself as having expertise in the
application, then no.

If I told a contractor that his/her presence at an
on-site meeting was required, then billing travel
(time or mileage, not both) would be acceptable.
If the contractor chose to be present because it
facilitated the work being done but I did not require
it, then no.

Gene Kim-Eng