Re: How did you get started in tech writing?

Subject: Re: How did you get started in tech writing?
From: "Will Husa" <Will -dot- Husa -at- 4techwriter -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:48:48 -0500

What's my story?

I went to college for video production and photography because I could tell
a story in pictures. While there, I needed an elective, so someone suggested
that I take a writing class. It made sense because in video production, you
need a script to sell a story to someone who will finance the project. I
discovered that I could write scripts, storyboards and descriptive text.

For the next ten years or so, I worked for the phone company as a
photographer and produced video productions on the side. When the phone
company found out about my side job, they asked me to produce training
videos for a new main frame enterprise computer software product that only
engineers would comprehend. I didn't understand a word of it, but since I
new storyboarding, I could match up what was on the computer screen with
what was on the presenter was saying. In essence, I was writing a user
manual based upon the video production.

I turned the training videos over to the client along with my notes,
storyboard and user manual. A couple of days later, the client calls me
back for a follow-up meeting. He was complaining that the training materials
that the vendor supplied were confusing, but that the user manual that I
slapped together made perfect sense. The client was using my user manual
instead of the vendor's user manual!

That was almost twenty years ago. In the past ten years, I've managed to
make technical writing my full time occupation. Many of my clients have
given me repeat business and good referrals.

Be seeing you,

Will
Will Husa
Technical Writer