Re: A new level of spam?

Subject: Re: A new level of spam?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Collin Turner <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:21:11 -0700

Collin Turner wrote:
> A recent report stated that 1 of 3 spam messages results in a conversion
> (click/sale). Until people get over their...um...fetish for Fine Replica
> Watches? I think we're in it for the long haul.

I can't quite account for the people who click with abandon, but I
expect that somewhere in the shuttered recesses of their bedazzled inner
selves, they know good and well that they shouldn't click but do it anyway.

Here's my slightly incredible tale illustrating an insidious
ingeniousness of the spammer class we're talking about:

I sent an email to my congress critter's official email address and got
a quick reply. But! you guessed it, the spam was in the reply, which
wasn't from my elected representative at all--the sender's info was
spoofed. If I had to guess how it happened, I'd say someone between my
ISP and the congressional mail servers has a sniffer picking out the
addresses of emailers to congress. But who? And why??

Same thing has happened with United Parcel Service and PayPal recently.
I did some dealings with each, and received administrative emails from
each shortly thereafter. Being the fetish-driven mail junkie with the
streak of deep denial about links I want to click, I clicked the links
in these emails, but brother they were bogus, and I didn't check them
out first. **MELTDOWN**

All together now: "Ned, you are an idiot."

So I'm reading up on the subject of human error now, and getting a lot
of solace from the fact that I formed my habits (the ones that led me to
trust email from sites I'd recently visited, after sooo many years and
thousands of successful spam interceptions), before the internet became
so dangerous. For me now, this means that I need to partake of adult
learning--the kind that re-analyzes the risks, and renovates the frowsy
smug corner of my mind where I walked right into two malware sites in
one week. That corner's got to be turned inside out. Steam cleaned,
disinfected, and sent to the recycler for shredding. Or maybe vitrified
and sent to a hazardous waste facility.

Fore shore, the 'net is not in Kansas anymore! Oh, for the good old
days, before Delphi got onto the internet.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/