RE: A new level of spam?

Subject: RE: A new level of spam?
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:55:38 -0700

> From: Dan Goldstein

> Junk mail filtering looks at the plain text content of the message and
> associates it with other known junk mail. Antispyware scans e-mail
> attachments for malicious content. But neither one investigates the
> linked Wed addresses embedded in the e-mail message.

The junk mail filter that I have in my copy of Outlook marks senders as junk
mail when the sender's address is from a different domain than the mail
server. Although I do not know the terminology for this particular feature.
There are other things that it looks for, too. Like if an email is all
graphics, and such.

McAfee has email tools and there is some other email tool I have available,
but I don't recall the manufacturer of all of the tools.

I can block addresses and domains, but the junk mail that I get is from new
and random domains. I can block certain words with rules, but now with the
random news highlights, there is always new text in the message. I did
create a rule to block the CNN news messages and that seems to work.

Lauren

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/