Re: "budget" laptop?

Subject: Re: "budget" laptop?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:01:19 +0530

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Pinkham, Jim <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com> wrote:
> Just to offer some further perspective on this: The norm in notebooks
> this quarter (since about late July/early Aug.) is at least 3 GB of RAM
> and 250 GB hard drives -- and quite a few are available at
> not-outrageous prices that have 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB hard drives.
> Ed's spex seem a little on the light side for what's currently on the
> market.

As Fred said, if you want to continue using 32-bit versions of
whatever is your favorite OS, then (IIRC, slightly over) 3GB is
addressable. Granted, that extra gig is a cheap upgrade against the
future possibility that you'll be running a 64-bit OS anyway...
however, my last try at using 64-bit Linux, around two years ago, was
not much fun, since a lot of stuff I wanted to use was not 64-bit
compatible at that time (Flash, for one; IIRC VMware Player then had
some restrictions about host or guest OS not being 64-bit... and other
stuff didn't work too well either). Things have no doubt improved
since then, but I have yet to have another go at it. I'm comfy with
3GB, though - can do pretty much all I need to in that.

And the 320GB drives - true, and one can always find bit-hoards to
occupy as much space as you have :)

> If you want a little heftier and much pricier, 22" notebooks are
> available, too.

Whoa... external display or built-in? Google didn't turn up much on
this - some links would be appreciated :-)

Cheers
Ed.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/