Re: "Good enough"

Subject: Re: "Good enough"
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:26:39 -0700

I think I did a contract there (my one all-software
job).

It's sort of like being tech writer on the Black Pearl
(multiple captains, processes and schedules more
what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules, your
number one priority is not to be the guy who gets
chained to the cannon and thrown overboard). You
prioritize the topics, start with the most important and
work your way down, review constantly and post
regular beta releases. Anytime there's a delay in
the product release date, copy the last release,
start working on improvements you think you can
use the extra time to squeeze in but always have
the last one ready to go into product at a moment's
notice if needed. The "deer in headlights" look you
get from everyone when you respond to any change
in schedule by saying docs are ready to go gets to
be fun after a while.

Gene Kim-Eng