InDesign CS2 file to Web topics?

Subject: InDesign CS2 file to Web topics?
From: Brigitte Johnston <johnstonbrigitte -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:06:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all -

My company has recently produced a new (paper) manual using InDesign CS2. The manual was put together by a graphic designer (with my help!) because it was a rush job, and I did not know the software (and didn't have it on my machine -- I've been using Word for the last 7 years!). So, as I'm sitting here teaching myself InDesign (I'm just getting started - today), I get a call from one of our VPs asking "What would it take to put portions of that manual into a format accessible via the Web?" He wants parts of this manual (topics) accessible and printable individually, but he does not want people to be able to just print the entire manual. We'd like to have something resembling help topics, not just pages of the PDF'd manual (although that may be the first version, just to get them out there).

Can someone point me in the right direction? Does this require additional software, or can these topics be generated from the InDesign files? (There are several files, one for each chapter, put together as one PDF.) If we can use InDesign, what's the function I'm looking for? The graphic designer is also looking into this, but I thought I would ask all of you as well. The more I can get my hands in this the better!

Many thanks in advance for any morsels of wisdom you can spare. Time is of the essence (as usual).

Brigitte Johnston

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/