Quality posters from PPT?

Subject: Quality posters from PPT?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:32:52 -0700

The company I've recently joined likes to create posters of various kinds.
For some unknown reason, they create them in PowerPoint, then send the PPT
to an outside firm that (I'm told) cuts 'n' pastes elements into
Illustrator, from which the posters are printed by yet another shop.

This all sounds ludicrous to me. My suspicion is that the AI graphics house
has hoodwinked our marketing manager into believing that we are not capable
of producing scaleable graphics ourselves.

Like most of you, I know my way around multiple graphic file formats and
related software tools. I do not bill myself as a graphic artist, per se,
but know enough to produce what I need when I need it. That said, what would
you recommend as a viable method of producing said posters, given that
oftentimes it's the engineers who are producing the original PPT versions?

(The engineers do have access to Photoshop CS3 Extended, so this shop isn't
limited to pixelated BMPs. As for me, I've got access to CorelDraw7, SnagIt,
HiJaak, and GIMP. I can also access Acrobat if you think a PDF is the best
way to go.)

Thanks

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/