Re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: Re: How to I get into this field?
From: "Wanda Phillips" <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:20:22 -0700

How do you get into this field? Look for the break in the fence that most of
us have used.

Seriously though, there are as many avenues in as there are "types" of
technical writing.

Find out what you're good at, get some basic training, be generous and do
some pro bono work, network with tech writers, programmers, and marketers,
and then take your portfolio to a job interview. Alternatively, there are a
number of certificate programs out there that will give you the structure
and connections to get into the field without trespassing or risking the
farmer catching you where you don't belong.

Not how I did it, but how I would do it if I were starting over.

Wanda
--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ
from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/