Re: Convert a directory of Word files to a TOC

Subject: Re: Convert a directory of Word files to a TOC
From: Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com
To: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:08:28 -0400

John,

Try looking into rd fields. If I understand you correctly, they should
provide the functionality you're looking for.

This URL has a pretty nice explaination:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. See the heading "How
to create a table of contents for several documents".

Robert Johnson
Principal Writer
Percussion Software
Woburn, MA

"John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+robert_johnson=percussion -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
10/16/2008 09:50 AM

cc

Subject
Convert a directory of Word files to a TOC

Hi, guys...I want to do something that is over my head.

I was given over 250mb of Word files from an outside vendor (about 50
files). They are named by seqential numbers (MPLS20S04L01.doc,
MPLS20S04L02.doc, etc, though the numbers come in different groups) .
What I'd like to do is programmitcally, generate a TOC type of doc
that contains the file name and H1 title that can be picked up from
inside of the document.

That means something programmically has to start at the top of the
directory, write the file name ot a TOC Word doc, open the doc, write
the H1 to the TOC Word doc, close, go to the next file, write the
filename to the TOC doc, open and write the H1 title to the TOC doc,
etc.

No links, just a list. Has anyone done something like this before?

--
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

'Half this game is ninety percent mental.'
-- Danny Ozark, Philadelphia Phillies manager

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/robert_johnson%40percussion.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/