Re: Style Guide for UNIX?

Subject: Re: Style Guide for UNIX?
From: beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:21:14 -0700

I worked at Sun for many years, and I understand you work there now.
I'm sure Solaris is second nature to you, and you understand exactly what
you're doing when you write a command line procedure. You've probably not
only walked through those procedures, but corrected them or filed bugs when
they don't work as the engineer intended.

However, I've worked with many writers who are unfamiliar with UNIX
commands, and I've had to review and correct their documents. UNIX isn't
intuitive, and if you "sort of" have an idea of what it means, it's not the
same as knowing what it means.

So my comment was just cautionary. It's relevant especially if you're
unfamiliar to the point that you don't know about its case-sensitivity. My
message was - when you write up a UNIX procedure, be careful to either get
it right on your own, or consult your SME before you change the smallest
thing.

Bee

http://www.doctohelp.com