Re: Clearing the check marks

Subject: Re: Clearing the check marks
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:48:12 -0700

One of the major tenets of my previous career as
a test engineer is "familiarity breeds carelessness."
An operator who knows, or merely thinks he/she
knows, the purpose of every operation is more
prone to fall into the behavior of doing things from
memory rather than following the checklist, so there
are times when a supercritical checklist is deliberately
made to be cryptic or repetitive so that nobody will
ever be confident that they "know" it well enough to
not have to work through it step by step.

It is not the checkbox that has the "need," it is the
user. Or, as in this case, the person the system is
going to be used on.

Gene Kim-Eng