[TOOLS] DIMM insertion-key gap

Subject: [TOOLS] DIMM insertion-key gap
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:14:06 -0400

Hey all.

Any computer-memory experts in here? As in... the physical package and
how it is designated?

Can fully-buffered and un-buffered memory modules co-exist in the same
system?

What would a couple of 240-pin DIMMs be trying to tell me - via their
insertion-key gap placement - when one has the insertion-key gap between
a 68 pin group and a 52-pin group, while the other DIMM has its
insertion-key gap between a 64-pin group and a 56-pin group?

The first one (buffered) came with my PC.
The second one (un-buffered) was bought at BestBuy with assurances that
it would work fine, and is going back tomorrow.

Does the difference in keying indicate just buffered versus unbuffered,
or is it a difference in some other technical parameter, and what might
that be? I need to know, so that I can order online with some
confidence.

Anybody know a Wiki article or a tutorial somewhere that lays all this
out, for modern memory modules (I already found a couple of pages that
tell me all about pre-DDR stuff... which co-incidentally was still valid
the last time that I purchased memory)?

I'm attempting to upgrade my work PC (DELL T5400), without paying the
DELL premium on components. :-)

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com