RE: The case against M$ Word

Subject: RE: The case against M$ Word
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Gary Schnabl" <gSchnabl -at- LivernoisYards -dot- com>, <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:56:40 -0600

quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:
> InDesign is focused upon page layout, and isn't in the same niche as
> FrameMaker. And if FrameMaker is more than your company needs, then
> (and I say this without knowing just what your company needs) InDesign

> is probably more than it needs too.

Agreed. If FM really is overkill, then Word will do just fine. I suspect
the OP either knows ID and not FM, or wants to play with something shiny
and new.

Gary Schnabl responded:

> My guess is that FrameMaker is nearing its EOL, and that InDesign will
> eventually totally replace it.

Your guess is wrong, at least for the foreseeable future. Development of
FM 9 and TPS 2 are far along. It's clear that the TPS has a long life
ahead of it.

> Furthermore, if the relatively low cost for either FM or ID (or
> whatever) matters, get a legal copy via eBay or elsewhere.

Yeah, just keep telling yourself you're getting a low-cost _legal_ copy.

> Being an FAA-rated A&P mechanic, I and other mechanics amass and use
> various tools. We would rarely waste time debating the value of one
over
> the other. Just use the proper/best tool for the particular function.

Aircraft mechanic? I bet many of the manuals you use were produced with
FM (the others used a much more complex and expensive tool chain, of
which FM may or may not have been a component). I bet none were produced
using ID.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer