RE: Onsite or on-site?

Subject: RE: Onsite or on-site?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Meryl R. Cohen" <merylster -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:11:17 -0500

I frequently/generally see coop, first, then have to derive co-op from the context.

I have never - not once - stumbled over co-op (whether it was the name of a store or bank-like entity, or part of a larger word).

It might be just me (I'm in my mid-50s), but I defy any of you to engage in a conversation - especially written - in which the word coop (koop) is used many times, and then NOT stumble when it's used in sentence to mean co-op.

I never used the diaeresis because it wasn't on my typewriter. :-)

- Kevin (schooled in Canada, starting in 1960)

(Be careful to close the door of the chicken coop. And don't coop me up, in here.
"NO chicken escapes from Tweedy's farm!" huh? Whatthe... )

(Chicken Run, one of the few movies that I actually own.
Now, back to your coupâge. :-> )

Meryl R. Cohen

> Gee, I'm a Coop member and have lived in the Cambridge area (sorta) since
> 1981, yet I never noticed the Coop diaeresis. I did notice that my brother
> (also a TW) uses one where he has the word cooperated in his resume. I've
> tried--without success--to get him to change it. These days it's just
> either
> precious or pretentious.
>
> Though maybe he's onto something.
>
> Meryl
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Susan W Gallagher
> <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>wrote:
>
> > When I was in grammar school, many long years ago, "cooperation" wasn't
> > word yet. It was either spelled with the hyphen (co-operation) or with a
> > diaeresis over the second o (coöperation). It wasn't until sometime in
> the
> > 1960s, if I recall correctly, that the compound started to close.
> >
> > The bookstore at Harvard University is called "The Coop", and not "The
> > Co-op", giving reference to common misreading of the closed compound
> > (coop-er-ation), but if you look at their logo, you'll see the
> diaeresis,
> > as
> > they were established in the 1800s, when "cooperation" was definitely
> *not*
> > a word.
> > http://sevenroads.org/Bookish/HarvardCoopLg.jpg
> >
> > -Sue Gallagher
> >

> > On 12/17/08, Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net> wrote:
> > >
> > > ... I've
> > > seen people hyphenate "cooperation" as "co-operation," although I
> > > do not know why,...
> > > Lauren

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com