Thank you, Twitter!

Subject: Thank you, Twitter!
From: "Katherine Noftz Nagel (Kat)" <lists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:44:01 -0500

I was poking around Twitter the other day, looking for people or
groups I know. I found a Twitter group for a relatively new Society
for Technical Communication special interest group that I joined this
year, the AccessAbility SIG <http://www.stc-access.org/>, so I clicked
the Follow button. About a dozen tweets a day, that's manageable, and
some of them were interesting enough to make me click the embedded
link to see what they were referring to. Nice.

Then, today, the first tweet to pop up after I fired up my laptop was
this one from STC-Access:
---
RT @livlab - Commit to blogging about a woman in tech
on March 24: <http://tinyurl.com/7chvnm> (thanks
@obiwankimberly) about 12 hours ago from Twuffer
---

I became fascinated with Ada Lovelace mumblemumble years ago, when I
shared a cube wall with a software engineer who (loudly) preferred Ada
to whatever language that company required at the time. He gave me,
in addition to an Ada-the-language textbook, a biography of the lady
the language was named after. Never did anything with the programming
language, but --- until a few years ago when the gent moved out of
town --- that programmer and I went out to lunch every year on Ada
Lovelace's birthday (10 December).

So, when I followed the link and read the background for the blog
pledge, I immediately signed up.

The event:
<http://www.pledgebank.com/AdaLovelaceDay>
More information from the creator of the pledge, Suw Charman-Anderson:
<http://chocolateandvodka.com/2009/01/06/join-me-on-ada-lovelace-day/>

I've already put the pledge notice on one of my blogs, and in the
What's New section of the online newsletter I do for my local STC
chapter. Now, I'm sending the info to a couple of discussion lists
that I know harbor geeks who blog.

K@
Kat Nagel,
wondering why Ada Lovelace Day is set for March 24 instead of Ada's
birthday (December 10) or the day of her death (November 27)? In my
house, March 24 is reserved for the celebration of JS Bach's
publication of the the six Brandenburg Concerti. (We play all six of
'em, at least two versions, back to back. Bliss.

http://www.doctohelp.com