Online & Offline Doc Help

Subject: Online & Offline Doc Help
From: Joe Sokohl <jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:15:32 -0500

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've been outside of the techwriter world
specifically for awhile. Today, our global creative director sent me
this query:

"I have been tasked to take a look at our documentation both printed
and electronic and refresh the look and feel while remaining inside
the guidelines of our brand. Do you have any data or know where I can
find data that focuses on readability? Ex. Sans serif vs. serif, multi
column vs. single column, color choices, etc. I have spent some time
doing some online research but have had minimal success. If you have
any data or could recommend a place online for me to search I would be
grateful."

Naturally, I gave him the "it depends" and "hire a tech writer" stuff.
Can y'all help point me to some current sources? I've sent him
thecontentwrangler.com, uxmatters.com (thanks, Mike Hughes), and
writersua.com. Also, "Standards of Online Communication" and "Letting
Go of the Words." Any online stuff specifically would be great.

Thanks,

joe

Joe Sokohl
joe -at- sokohl -dot- com