RE: Unable to import Robohelp HTML files when using source control

Subject: RE: Unable to import Robohelp HTML files when using source control
From: "Deborah Slutzky" <Deborah -dot- Slutzky -at- datacore -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:20:39 -0500

Oh dear, well first of all, I just went through the motions of importing
a file and discovered that I fibbed a bit when replying to Amy Gale's
request for the particulars of what I'm seeing. (Amy, after your
thoughtful and lengthy response, I am sorry and more than a little
embarrassed! I'd like to blame that on a senior moment, but I'm not that
"senior.")

Here's exactly what happens:

The Import File dialog box opens. I select the path & topic file and
click Open.

I receive the Confirm Overwrite dialog box because I am using the same
style sheet. I clear the check box and click OK.

The Import File dialog remains open and I do not receive the Results box
giving me the list of files that were imported. So it appears that the
import didn't really complete.

But, I also never receive any other message of any kind. Is there an
error log that perhaps I should be checking?

I'm the only tech writer here, so, although it sounded like a
possibility, I can't be running into the scenario that Rick Stone
described:

"Assume three authors are working on a project. Author A has the project
open and is editing content in topic X. Author B opens the project,
creates a folder and adds a file. I could fathom that Author A doesn't
see the folder or topic. After all, their local copy of the project is
unaware of it. I would think Author A would need to close and re-open
the project to see the latest and greatest. Or possibly open the project
and perform a "Get latest version" of all files in order to sync
everything up."

Now, to top it all off, I just tried the same thing with a different
project in SourceSafe and it worked fine!

Previous tech writers at this company had never used SourceSafe. I'm the
first one, so before I put the projects into SourceSafe, I put copies of
them in a safe place on the network.

So, just to verify that I wasn't completely losing my mind, I made a
copy of the original project (no source control) that I had squirreled
away on the network, and tried importing the same HTML topic that I was
unable to import in the same project with source control. It was
successful.

So, the problem may be specific to that particular project file in
SourceSafe. Hopefully, it's not as big a problem as I initially thought.
When I have more time, I can experiment a bit more.

Deb Slutzky

DataCore Software

Sr. Technical Writer

954/377-6028

Deborah -dot- Slutzky -at- datacore -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com