RE: Ever seen a service level agreement for a tech pubs department?

Subject: RE: Ever seen a service level agreement for a tech pubs department?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Milan Davidovic" <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:49:07 -0500

John Posada replied to Milan:

> > Not just for a project but an ongoing thing -- kind of what
> like an IT
> > dept. would have in a corporation.
> >
> > Ever written one and/or worked under one? Any good stories to share?
>
> Milan...can I assume this is an ITIL thing?
>
> It's simple. What has your marketing department promised to customers
> about documentation that is included with a product.
>
> It might include elements such:
>
> All applications will include, at minimum, an installation manual and
> a release note, upon delivery of the application.
> All defects found in documentation will be addressed and delivered
> within 30 days of discovery
> All documentation will be available from an online source.
> etc.
>
> The customer simply wants to know what gurantees you are making from
> the perspective of documentaion so they know what they are going to
> get and what is owed to them.

Keep in mind to consult with other affected departments. If an
out-facing agreement starts trumping company projects, Product Line
Management will become unhappy.

If you've agreed to a 30-day cycle of documentation fixes, then you've
agreed to a 30-day cycle on Configuration Management activity, because
you are probably affecting Bills of Materials (unless "addressing" doc
errors just means sending a correcting/clarifying e-mail and a copy of
the defect report to confirm it went into your internal error-tracking
system "for future release").

If you are fixing the product docs every thirty days, you might also be
committing the QA people to a 30 day cycle for every product that you
ship. Not only do they need to review what you wrote/corrected, but
they probably have to test/verify that it's correct.

It all depends on your industry. Probably aircraft- and medicine-related
industries have some strict standards in that regard, and therefore the
companies budget for the implied additional overhead. In the general
computer and consumer-electronics industries, not so much. In
telecomms... Depends on your industry.

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com