Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!

Subject: Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: "Mark Lewin" <mlewin -at- esriuk -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:13:20 -0500

Mark,

Been there and done that; and if I only knew then what I know now...

Start by reading up on adult learning principles, and the different types
of learners you are going to encounter. Do a few evaluations to find out
what kind of learner you are so you can be sure to get out of your comfort
zone when you develop course interactions. Read up on developing course
objectives, course evaluations and valid testing methodologies. Read
anything by Michael Allen or Jane Bozarth.

The Training Doctor, LLC has a course titled "ISD for the SME" which I've
heard really good things about from some very trusted sources.
http://www.trainingdr.com/

The the very most important concept to come to grips with immediately is
that tools do not equal teaching. A good instructional designer can turn
out a better course with powerpoint or word than an unskilled designer with
the latest and greatest Captivate/Authorware/BlackBoardCT/Camtasia etc.. So
again, don't start with tool choice, start by defining your objectives,
then look for tools and methodologies that can facilitate your learners
meeting those goals. I made this mistake of picking tools before I knew
what I was doing when I started out in training and my learners suffered
for it.

Cheers!
Greg

> Hi all,
>

> I've just been appointed as a Course Author within my company's training
> department. Although I have a background in technical writing I have
> mostly concentrated on developer documentation so I'm finding myself a
> bit out of my depth and in need of some guidance!
>

> Things I'm being forced to think about are...
>

> Appropriate authoring tools. At the moment we only deliver face-to-face
> training but will need to look at e-Learning at some point in the near
> future, so a tool or suite of tools which could do both would be ideal.
> I've heard quite a bit about single-sourcing without knowing too much
> about it and wonder if that's something we should be thinking about at
> this stage?
>

> Management of the above. Would source control software (like Subversion)
> be a good enough way to version control all the content we create, or
> are there better ways?
>

> Instructional design training. This seems to be a vast subject, but how
> much do I need to know? Does anyone have any recommendations for books,
> courses, etc on ID basics?
>

> I would really appreciate some advice and recommendations from you
> clever folks.
>

> Many thanks,
>

> Mark

> Disclaimer and Corporate Information This e-mail and any attachments
> are confidential, may be privileged and are intended solely for the
> use of the intended recipient/s. If you are not an intended
> recipient, please (a) notify the sender immediately; and (b) delete
> the original e-mail and your reply from your system. Unauthorized
> copying, forwarding, disclosure or usage of this e-mail is
> prohibited. No liability is accepted for damage caused by the
> presence of any virus. The contents of this e-mail are provided
> "subject to contract". Views or opinions in this e-mail are those of
> the author and not necessarily those of the company. The company may
> intercept, copy or monitor e-mails from or to anyone using its
> facilities in accordance with the law. ESRI (UK) Ltd, registered in
> England under company number 01288342. Registered office: Millennium
> House, 65 Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire HP21 7QG.
> Environmental Systems Research Institute Ireland Ltd, registered in Ire
> land under company number 353903. Registered office: Riverside One,
> Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2.
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing

> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> [...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.doctohelp.com