Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!

Subject: Re: Instructional design newbie needs pointers!
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Mark Lewin <mlewin -at- esriuk -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:49:09 -0500

In designing a course for live presentation you need first to assess the
students' levels of understanding, and then to tailor the material, on
the fly, to match their needs. It is crucially important to avoid
explaining the difficult in terms of the totally unknown. On the other
side, you lose students very quickly if you spend gobs of time repeating
what they already know.

If you are preparing an on-line course that won't have a live
instructor, your problem is different but not easier. The last time I
was taking one of those on-line courses, I noticed immediately that it
was for an obsolete version of the software it was supposed to be
teaching. And it was a REQUIRED course! The whole instructional program
was mismanaged to an extent that the students were either frustrated or
misinformed.

http://www.doctohelp.com