Re: Inline key symbols in text

Subject: Re: Inline key symbols in text
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:53:06 -0700

Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security) wrote:
> Mike:
>
> On further reflection I realized that probably everybody subvocalizes as
> they read text. That is, the words are sounded silently inside the
> reader's head. I'll bet there's a body of research out there somewhere
> to confirm this

Wow, that is a depressing prospect :-( As a speed reader, I've tried to
train myself out of subvocalizing, and in fact believed I had succeeded.

I won't bother to circle the wagons and defend my belief, because of
research reports like this:

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/recordDetail?accno=EJ250983

But I will note that very specialized definitions of subvocalization are
in use in research today--they no longer imply or rely on observable
gross acts like moving the lips when reading.

Contemporary research investigates subvocalization in terms of much more
subtle things, like activity /in the muscles used for speaking/. Brain
imaging technology (using PET, fMRI, and SPECT scanning) is providing
neuro-linguistic researchers with data about the miniscule goings-on, at
the neuron level of the brain, that was inconceivable just a few decades
ago. See for yourself--google a string of useful brain imaging and
reading words:

fMRI PET SPECT reading subvocalization

DISCLAIMER: SIDE EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE TO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE INNER
PHYSICO-CHEMICAL WORKING OF THE BRAIN MAY INCLUDE SHATTERED ILLUSIONS
AND SHOCKED OR INTENSE DISBELIEF. IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE SYMPTOMS,
ENJOY!!

If you're especially interested in the locus of language in the brain,
you can start a web search with the names of a couple of pioneers in the
field, whose names are attached to the anatomical regions of the brain
where they found language processes:

Broca Wernicke

More detailed brain maps are commonly in use today, but googling their
names plus whatever qualified language topics you want (e.g., 'reading
grammar language acquisition subvocalization') should produce a lot of
interesting stuff.

Finally, check out what NASA has been doing in this area:

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0410/084.html?partner=yahoomag

HTH,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com