The positives of yesterday's kerfuffle

Subject: The positives of yesterday's kerfuffle
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:45:30 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng sputtered:
>But..but...it's *Friday...*

Hey, I was trying to turn it into a *teaching moment* and now everyone
knows about the Flounce and Encyclopedia Dramatica. What could be more
positive than learning something so incredibly useful?

Have you ever had chickens? It's really funny to knock on the chicken
coop and listen to them all cackle. We're just like that. People, I
mean. It'll die down when it dies down, but you cannot tell chickens to
shut up. Leastways, you can't get the to shut up until they're ready.
Also, Dr. Hailey's explosion was tense, and we're all doing the nervous
laughter thing that happens after. As I said in a private message, it's
like when someone storms out of a party; you're all quiet until you hear
their car start and pull away without hitting anyone else's cars, and
then the giggling starts. Pure psychology; alas, I'm not a psychologist,
so I don't know what it means. Other than, we're a lot like chickens,
until the List Admin comes out with the ax.

Plus, we learned something about Google. Or we observed something about
Google. For what it's worth, Dr. Hailey's rant is appearing as #3 on the
1st page for me now, and one of my responses is appearing below it.
Yesterday, one of my responses was appearing #8 on the 1st page, and
Milan's #9, while others were saying it was showing up on page 2. I
desperately wish I knew why.

Also, I desperately wanted to use the word "kerfuffle" in a subject
line. I just wish I had as much to say on tech writing... But that's for
me to figure out, I guess.

Personally? It's made me like this list more. I don't always agree with
what others say, and I often feel like I'm too inexperienced to speak up
(and kick myself when someone else makes the observation I was going to
make) and going to call down a rain (sic) of terror on my head if I say
or ask something here. But this makes me feel warmer toward the list in
general; we've had a shared trauma and it brings us together
momentarily.

Sincerely,
Madelyn Boudreaux

http://www.doctohelp.com