Re: Question for Flare Users

Subject: Re: Question for Flare Users
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: laura_johnson -at- agilent -dot- com
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:49:54 -0500

Hi Laura

From what you have posted it would seem you are holding and are putting
forth some false or mistaken impressions.

* Some annoying defects in RoboHelp were fixed in Flare; the ones that come to mind (this is based on my experience with RoboHelp X5) are poor PDF output, some bugs with merging multiple help projects, and lack of command-line build capability (so it's hard to integrate your help into an automated build process). Flare provides a nicer authoring environment and more consistent results (once you're used to it) because of its use of structured editing and emphasis on stylesheets; the XHTML source it produces is less noisy (hence more portable) than RoboHelp's HTML. More importantly, RoboHelp is an aged product with a very large code base and an R&D team that have no history with the product; Adobe's commitment to the product is real, but seems weak. Flare is more robust because of its managed-code code base and is staffed with experienced (and enthusiastic!) developers; Madcap was founded for the purpose of creating help-authoring tools and Flare is its flagship product. Flare is at 3.0 now and is very stable. It does a very good job of importing RoboHelp projects and templates.

I'm sure it's difficult to keep up with odd version naming or numbering,
but RoboHelp lives on beyond X5. Your response would seem to imply that
RoboHelp X5 simply evolved into Flare. I suppose on some level that is
plausible, but Flare and RoboHelp are two entirely different products.
RoboHelp is quite alive and well. Since X5, Adobe introduced version 6,
then version 7 and most recently version 8. Sure, maybe initially the
Adobe team had little initial experience with the X5 code base, but
RoboHelp has evolved into a different product. I would think after three
releases they are surely comfortable with the code base.

* For intents and purposes, I was a first time user with no (within the last 10 years) Robohelp experience. I found it very easy to learn and use Flare.

I find it odd that you are citing no recent experience, yet you claimed in your first bullet point that what you were stating was "based on my experience with RoboHelp X5". You are citing that some annoying defects in RoboHelp being fixed in Flare. If you didn't use RoboHelp in 10 years, how would you even know about any defects? How do you know Flare is "more robust because of the managed code base"? You can't really compare Flare version 3 with RoboHelp X5. If you are going to make comparisons, it would only be fair to compare the latest Flare version to the latest RoboHelp version. ;) I mean no disrespect here, but this sounds like you are simply reciting Flare market speak. ;)

"...You feel sort of dyslexic using the structured editor at first; you don't always know what you're looking at, and basic things like text selection don't do quite what you expect."

Ouch! I hate when that happens! ;)

"We stopped complaining after a week or two of steady use."

Does this mean that you just became used to not knowing what you were looking at and you simply accepted that basic things didn't do what was expected? ;)

"...if you can't find a feature, you can search their help using the RoboHelp terminology and easily find the Flare equivalent."

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm curious to know why familiar terms are inexplicably replaced with unfamiliar terms? If something has always been called a flimjam, why suddenly begin calling it a hoojab?

Cheers... Rick :)

http://www.doctohelp.com