Word numbering question for figure/table captions - warning - long email!

Subject: Word numbering question for figure/table captions - warning - long email!
From: "Spectrum Writing " <SpectrumWriting -at- q -dot- com>
To: "TechWhirl List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:29:52 -0600

All,

For a variety of Word documents that I am currently developing (Word 2007,
Windows XP/SP3), I have a Heading 1 Styles that is auto-numbered and I have
no problems using the References > Insert Caption function for
auto-numbering figures and tables in sections that are delineated with this
Heading 1 style. When I have documents that have appendices, that's where I
am having issues. As suggested in Shauna Kelly's site, I use Heading 6 for
my Appendix Heading, and the auto-numbering for the this style (Appendix A,
Appendix B, etc.) is just fine; however, when I want to auto-number figures
and tables in appendices, that's where I start having issues (well, Word
has the issues, I just have an issue with Word overall, but that's for a
different thread). I have followed Shauna's advice the best that I can
understand it, and in a nutshell:

To create Figures in the Appendixes, you have to trick Word a bit and create
a separate label that looks and feels like the "Figure" label you used in
the body of the document. To do that:

Insert > Reference > Caption.

Click New Label. Type Figure_Apx, then OK. (Note: this label is
saved in normal.dot. If you're later asked if you want to save normal.dot,
say Yes.)

You now have two labels for captions. One is called "Figure". It
was built-in with Word, and you use it for the body of the document. The
other label is called "Figure_Apx", which you will use for your Appendix
captions.

In the Caption box, type your caption text.

Click Numbering, tick Include chapter numbering and choose Heading
6 from the drop down list of styles and click OK.

Click OK. Your caption will look something like: Figure_Apx A-1
This is the caption text for a Figure in an Appendix

I am good until this point. It's here where I can't figure out how to
correlate the remaining instructions in Word 2007.

* You will have to delete the extra "_Apx" characters every time you
create a caption in an Appendix. To avoid that, make an AutoText entry from
your caption. To do this, in the caption you've just created, select "Figure
A-1 ", choose Insert > AutoText > AutoText. Make sure that the Look in box
refers to the template in which you want to store the AutoText. Give your
AutoText a name (apxcaption is a good one). Thereafter, insert the AutoText
to insert a caption in the Appendixes.
* If you prefer, you can then give your AutoText a shortcut key using
Tools > Customize > Keyboard.

If someone could point me in the right direction and clarify how to
accomplish this last bit of the instructions in Word 2007, I would
appreciate it.

Also, even when manually removing the Apx, I am finding that all of my
previous Figure/Table captions, although based on the default Figure/Table
captions in Word and my Heading 1 style, are getting changed over to the
Apx. Style after I insert numbers in my appendix. For example, if I have
Figure 1-1, Figure 1-2 and so on in my Module 1 , and then I insert a figure
caption in an Appendix (Say, Figure A-1 in Appendix A), then when I go back
to Module 1, all of my captions are now Figure_Apx 1-1, Figure_Apx 1-2, etc.
which is incredibly annoying. Sigh! It's like I have to number all of my
Appendix figures first, THEN go back to numbering my figures in my modules,
which is NOT an option (because of cross-references, etc.)

I do know how to avoid this mess by simply manually creating multiple figure
captioning styles for my appendices, but this is cumbersome and of course,
if I rearrange my appendices, then it does not lend itself to renumbering
automatically.

And if I get the "no, I have never gotten this work ever" response from the
almost everyone on the list, then at least that will help me understand too.

Thanks,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Owner/Principal