re: virtual team environment (was: telecommuting)

Subject: re: virtual team environment (was: telecommuting)
From: Lev Abramov <lev -dot- abramov -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:08:37 +0200

Hi all -
thanx again for the advice given. One piece of advice I know I will hardly
be able to adopt is using a public wifi place as an alternative ISP. For
one, I don't own a laptop (what a cave-dweller, think some of you and
cringe) - I have two fairly reliable desktop machines which I can take apart
to replace a daughterboard and put back in operation fairly easily. Besides,
I expect the project to be based on some kind of a Web-based CMS (the most
reasonable option for a distributed team), so data storage and backup is
hardly an issue *I* have to be worried about.

What seems to be the most worrying aspect is the interaction with the new
colleagues. Time zone differences (Manila is 5 hours ahead of me, and New
York is 7 hours behind): the part of the team in the Philippines will have
already had their lunch by the time I turn my computer on at 8AM my time. By
the time I start working with the US part of the team, they will be fresh
and crispy, while I will already be nearing the end of my day.

And cultural differences are certainly an issue as well, not to mention
personal inclinations of each one. When I left the Soviet Union at the age
of 40, eighteen years back, and moved to Israel, I got a good chance to
learn the art of coping with a new culture. I hope this will help me handle
this new challenge without making too many mistakes (as each one can cost me
this job!).

Anecdotal evidence of yours might certainly be helpful - please share!

Best -

Lev

--
Lev Abramov