Re: A reminder: visual and other indexes

Subject: Re: A reminder: visual and other indexes
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:46:07 +0800 (WST)

Here's a step in the right direction:

Robert, I don't think Geoff is arguing for more screenshots of menus. I guess he's talking about this sort of thing:
- an icon or control that can't be identified until you hover over it and which may not have an obvious menu equivalent
- an option that's buried several clicks deep in a series of menus, dialog boxes and tabs
- a feature that you accidentally hide or move, and there's no obvious way to "put it back the way it was"

Some examples would be:
- the middle-click scroll feature in Firefox, Word, etc.
- the Hide White Space feature in Word (click between pages in Print Layout View)
- dragging or hiding views in Eclipse (very easy to do by accident)
- the Resize control in the Word vertical scroll bar (which only has a tooltip once it's already been used!)
- the Ctrl Alt Hyphen feature in Word, which I regularly switch on by mistake when trying to insert an em dash

Some things that would help users to learn about and deal with these features:
- A visual index of controls and pointer icons, as Geoff suggests
- A heavily annotated master screen shot giving labels to unnamed controls
- A way to look up keyboard shortcuts (you use the right shortcut in the wrong application--the screen flickers and you think, oh dear, what did I just do...?)

Stuart

"I thought logorrhoea was an affliction of lumberjacks,
till I discovered http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/";

http://www.doctohelp.com