Re: Tech Writing for Social Networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

Subject: Re: Tech Writing for Social Networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:36:06 -0400

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Nothing folksy about it. You're literally engaging people one on one
> or in small groups. You're not directly providing a deliverable in
> social media.

OK, just playing devil's advocate here.

So according to this new social media paradigm I, the admittedly
introverted technical writer, should be spending my working hours
pretending to be extroverted and chatting up users on the Internet?
Or is social media better suited to sales and marketing, where there
are more extroverted personalities?

How many hours a day would one be getting paid to do this? How many
tweets a day is sufficient before a writer can get back to writing
documentation?

Really, I'm curious as to how this fits in with the "too much work,
not enough writers" scenario that I've encountered at every tech
writing gig that I've had so far. And considering how many tech
writers I know are out of work, is this really something that
employers are willing to pay me to do? Or is it just one more task
to add to the already long list of tasks that a technical writer is
expected to perform?

Discuss.

http://www.doctohelp.com